FORT AMSTERDAM

The fort located on the peninsula between Great Bay and Little Bay was built in 1631 by the Dutch. It was their first Fort in the Caribbean named after the Chamber of Amsterdam. It overlooks both Philipsburg and the first Dutch settlement on island, Little Bay. The fort was besieged by amongst others Peter Stuyvesant, trying to retake the fort from the Spanish.

FORT WILLIAM 1 – Fort William was built in 1801 by the British as Fort Trigge, presumably named after the person ordering its construction. Expanded reach of the newest types of cannons allowed the fort to be placed higher up the hill compared to nearby , whilst still controlling and with its strategic supplies and natural harbor.

Revived as “Fort Willem”, named after the Dutch king, it functioned until 1846. After this, the fortress deteriorated and is now predominantly a target for experienced . Only some walls and part of a watchtower remain around a modern television tower.

If you would like to visit the scarce remains of this once towering bulwark, follow EPIC’s special Fort William Hiking Trailunique views over Little Bay and Great Bay guaranteed!

 

Click here for our monuments menu.

 

Click here to go back to the main page of visitstmaarten.com.

 

Website
Phone
Email
Address
Translate »